Today, October 21, 2015, is the future . . . the day Marty Mcfly landed in his DeLorean in 1985’s Back to the Future.
How well do you recall 1985:
- U.S. President Ronald Reagan is sworn in for a second term in office.
- In Hollywood, California, the charity single “We Are the World” is recorded by USA for Africa.
- William J. Schroeder becomes the first artificial heart patient to leave the hospital.
- The Food and Drug Administration approves a blood test for AIDS, used since then to screen all blood donations in the United States.
- Mikhail Gorbachev becomes the General Secretary of the Soviet Communist Party and de facto leader of the Soviet Union.
- Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. (The response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than 3 months.)
- Live Aid pop concerts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and London raise over £50 million for famine relief in Ethiopia.
- Christa McAuliffe became the first schoolteacher to ride aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger.
- The Nintendo Entertainment System is released on US shores. It was first released in Japan in 1983.
- Microsoft Corporation releases the first version of Windows, Windows 1.0.
- Singles of the year included “Rock Me Amadeus,” “Take on Me,” and “Like a Virgin.” The Golden Girls hit the small screen, while “The Goonies,” and “Breakfast Club” hit the big screen.
· Source the peopleshistory.com
Cost of Living 1985
Average Cost of new house $89,330
Average Income per year $22,100.00
Average Monthly Rent $375.00
Average Price for new car$9,005.00
gallon of gas $1.09
Movie Ticket $2.75
Rib Eye Steak Lb $3.89